how long can young roosters be housed together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drezac10, May 11, 2011.

1. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    It appears that I have a few young roosters be housed together? Also at what age can they start fertilizing hens? I have some ameraucana's that hatched in January and a few just started crowing.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I do not know about the fertility. But as long as the roosters have been raised together they can live together. If they have adequate room. I would not put them where they can see the hens though. Just my thought they might fight. I have 2 rooster's living together now. They were raised with each other plus one other. But I lost some hens due to a dog attack and there were to many roosters. They made my hens backs bare. So now there is only one. Good luck Hope it works out

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Our younger roo grew up under the older roo's watchful eyes. They are getting along-- except when they fight but that is usually squabbling. Since one is Arcauna and one Orp, they seem to select their own breed to mingle with and fertilize and we have 17 girls so we really need 2 roos.
    We also have a FBCM roo but we have to keep him seperate. He will draw vicious blood with the other roos. He only has three girls but hey, that's life!
    Why can't we all get along?

4. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    Thank you both. I have been hooked on hatching and have been learning on the go.

5. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    As long as they are raised together and stay together they won't fight much. But if you happen to separate them even for a few days and then put them together again they will most likely bloody each other up pretty good...[​IMG]

6. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    We had 4 roosters until about 3 weeks ago. They were 4 months old...I found that to be my limit. They were raised together, but we had fighting, non stop crowing, and my poor hens were constantly being mounted. We butchered 3 and now it is nice and peaceful [​IMG].

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    I have five 5 month old cockerels that are living together with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by