how long can

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Che, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    eggs survive without any heat? I have one hen that walks around for hoursssss and then come back and lays on them and hiss at me when I go near so is this normal? Can the eggs survive like that for 2-3 hours?

2. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    anyone?

3. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    From my understanding, the egg goes into a state of suspended animation while the hen lays 7-10 in a clutch. Once she has enough she will start incubating them and that's when she needs to constantly sit. As long as the weather is decent, 60+ the embro will probably not die. So if you are looking to have chicks, it's probably getting to cold to have them just sitting around.

4. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    They can be help at 55* for up to 7 days and then be incubated with good results.

5. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Thanks Stephen! [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I wouldn't let her set on eggs. She is not a determined broody in my opinion. I have two broodies right now, and they only get off the nest for a half-hour per day at most, unless they are sneaking around when I don't see, lol.

She might get more determined later, though! Or you can take the eggs from her and give them back if she improves (in an incubator).

Just my opinion!

7. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Quote:so you think the eggs may be dead now?

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know how long she has been setting on the eggs, and it would be guessing on my part...but I would assume the chicks are alive in there unless you candled them and knew what you were seeing. If you don't have an incubator, you have nothing to lose by continuing to let her set on them.

For they would surely die if you removed them with no incubator. If you have another broody that likes to stay on the nest, I'd put them under her.

I hope you have a hatch!!!

9. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC

I don't know how long she has been setting on the eggs, and it would be guessing on my part...but I would assume the chicks are alive in there unless you candled them and knew what you were seeing. If you don't have an incubator, you have nothing to lose by continuing to let her set on them.

For they would surely die if you removed them with no incubator. If you have another broody that likes to stay on the nest, I'd put them under her.

I hope you have a hatch!!!

thanks [​IMG] she is sitting on them more but I do have a hovabator I guess if she starts getting off on them for a long time I will incubate them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by