How long did it take you to get it right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spatulagirl, Apr 3, 2012.

1. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I am having the worst luck learning how to incubate eggs. Please tell me eventually I will get it right!

Hatch #1 - nothing hatched, eggs lost in mail and freak snowstorm

Hatch #2 - shipped eggs again, 2 hatched out of 24 eggs, one died of infection on day 6

Hatch #3 - used a broody hen and local eggs. She hatched four out of 9 eggs. One chick never hatched and the other four eggs were not fertile. This was the best hatch cuz I didn't have to do anything!

Hatch #4 - two local eggs currently in the incubator. They were under the broody hen until she hatched out the last batch of chicks and I wanted her to raise them. I put these into the incubator and they were alive on day 18 when I went into lockdown. Today is day 22 and nothing is happening. The temp kept fluctuating and we came home on Sunday to it at 104 and it has dipped down to 97 twice.

A friend of mine has an awesome hatch rate. Everything she puts in the incubator hatches. I borrowed her incubator. I did everything she does. I even keep it in the kitchen like she does. My hatch rates suck. Her last hatch, her kid fiddled with the temp and it got up to 108 for a few minutes and everything still hatched.

I have a bunch of Silkie eggs waiting to go into the incubator. This time I am going to try monitoring their weight loss and air cell to figure out what I need to do with humidity.

My husband came home yesterday and saw the Silkie eggs and said, "More eggs?" How many times are you going to do this?" and I said, "UNTIL I GET IT RIGHT!!!!"

2. spatulagirl

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    BTW, I think I have read every single freaking article and post on this website about hatching LOL

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Everyone comes in at there own pace. As long as you continue to research and ask for help you'll be fine. You'll have great hatches in no time!

4. spatulagirl

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Everytime I ask for help I am ignored! LOL Not asking the right questions, I guess ;)

I candled the eggs and they look dead. So I am going to try again tomorrow and this time try weighing and tracking the air sac so I can figure out my humidity. And add more thermometers inside.

I will get this right!

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

You're due to have a great hatch and have some experience now. Good luck with your silkie eggs they are such cute babies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by