How long did she squat before the first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the lemon tree, Sep 20, 2009.

1. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    My 20 week old Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rock have been squatting for over a week now. How much longer??? I'm getting so impatient...

2. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    my feeloaders are doing the same!!

3. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I noticed one of my girls starting to do the squat on Thursday, and got my first egg Saturday. I'm still waiting on the others. But I don't know what the norm is.

4. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    My black sex link started squating about 10 days before her first egg. It was a very nice small egg. She has laid 6 eggs in 8 days now. The egg size is up to a medium egg now.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    10 - 12 days

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm getting no eggs, my hens DON'T DO SQUAT!

7. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    One of my pullets started laying last weekend - with no noticeable squat beforehand.

8. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My Cuckoo Marans (or maybe she's BR, we're not sure) squatted for almost 2 weeks B4 laying her first egg, a week ago. She's the only one who's laying so far, and she was 19 weeks old when she laid an egg. A couple more pullets are now just starting to squat but none of them have shown as much interest in fussing around in the nest box as the CM did the week B4 her first egg. Her eggs are perfect but small & have small yolks. They really should be called "eggies". Some are a larger more normal size but, so far, the larger ones have all contained two small yolks.

9. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Quote:Did you by chance get them from Bothell Feed? I used to live in Seattle and that's where I got my chicks. They sold me a Cuckoo Marans that was supposed to be a Barred Rock!

10. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by