How long did you keep your flocks seperate? (free range)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jul 16, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I now have two flocks, my adult LF brahmas that free range all day and a baby flock (5 weeks old) of layer and meat chicks. As posted before, the adult chickens want nothing to do with the chicks and stay as far away as possible. Meanwhile, the chicks ignore the big flock and will invade the adult flock's territory while on a bug chase. Yesterday evening I had chase the chicks away from the adult flocks coop after they mindlessly wandered over there.
    We are getting prepared to move the chicks to their own coop, which will be situated within 10 feet of the other coop. I plan to build a temporary run for the chicks, just until they get some size on them. They also need to learn the (people) yard is no longer their territory as it is now. The people yard belongs to the german shepherds and they don't share well. Though I'm a strong believer in locking chicks in their coop until they get the whole "home" thing, I don't plan to do that this time because it's too hot for them to be locked in a coop, even with fans running and lots of cross ventilation. It's also important to me that the meat birds get out and use their big ol' legs to walk around; not sit in a hot coop all day.

Once the chicks are settled in their new digs - coop and run, how long should I wait before letting them free range?

2. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    are you asking about letting 5-week-old chicks free-range with adults?
    If so, I know mine did fine-- but I have a small and fairly calm flock. Mama BO stopped "mothering" her chicks at 5 weeks, and all was well. They get chased by my grouchy BRs if they get too close, but the babies learn quickly to avoid the mean hens. Mine are all together-- from 3 weeks to adult, but I don't have any roos, and only have 5 adult hens.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, I was asking basically when it will be okay to let the little ones free range with the adult flock. The only differences I can see between my flock and yours is that I have 14 adult birds (one is my roo) and that my chicks came from a hatchery so none of my hens is mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by