1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Long Did Your Broody Stay With Her Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SproutGirl, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Hi There,
    I have a question for those of you who have had hens raise your chicks. How long did she stay with the chicks after they hatched? Our hen hatched her brood on the 21st of November and has now just decided that she is done with the little ones and is now back to laying eggs--3 in 2 days! Can't blame her really, but I was just wondering how long others' hens brooded. Thanks!

2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I guess my broody has taken it way to far....she hatched them at the end of August & is still with her 2 girls & 1 little roo (the rest I sold). They all hang together yet & she still clucks at them...... [​IMG]

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My girl always starts laying again when the chicks are about 5 weeks old and 2 or 3 weeks after beginging to lay again she goes broody still with her chicks. I have always removed her chicks at that point but I am sure she would keep them as long as they were there...lol

4. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    My silkie momma has been taking care of her babies since August and is still taking care of them now. She has even started laying again. [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I put mine(3) back with the regular flock and seperated the babies to thier own pen after about a month, after 2 days the hens returned to normal and stopped looking for babies. and are back to laying eggs.

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Ditto here except mama isn't laying any eggs yet & the other OEGBs aren't either for that matter! [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine normally do their setting thing, play mommy for 5 weeks or so, start the detachment process, and are back to normal by 6-7 weeks. Usually lets her baby or babies snuggle in though for a few months.

8. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Wow, you guys have some good momma hens! Our RIR Frieda is totally done with her babies. She roots up on the big chicken perch (rafter) and leaves the babies down below on the kid roosts and straw. She'll even shoo them away from her at times with little pecks! It all just happened a few days ago--she lost that glazed over broody loom in her eyes and said, see ya kids!

9. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I always seperate them when my hen starts to lay again. That is how I always knew that it was time. That was just me through, but it always has seem to work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by