How long do baby chicks stay in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiverMan420, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    We have 9 eggs incubating and July 5th is the projected hatch date. I was wondering how long we should keep them in the brooder before it's safe to move them into the coop.

Thanks in advance!

2. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I am kinda new to this too but I have put most of my babies out at around 4 to 5 weeks. They have most all of there feathers and so far nothing bad has happen. The weather has been in the 90s in the day and high 60 low 70s at night. I only had two hen out there and throw my roo out of the coop since he was trying to kill my hens. I have since lost him and that is find since he was way to mean for me to have around with kids.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, many folks brood right in their barn or coop, if they have electricity. But your question is more about two things. Containing them within a small area so as to not get into harm's way. Second, their warmth requirement.

Since summer is upon us in North America, the heat requirement in many places, will be minimal. It will be quite easy to maintain all the heat they need with low wattage lamps. You can likely ween them off any added daytime heat quite quickly, within 3 weeks, as ambient temps are so high this time of year.

At 5 weeks, the chicks are feathered out and won't likely need any night time warmth anymore either. Enjoy your new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by