How long do chickens live?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cackilacky, Jan 21, 2010.

1. cackilacky

cackilacky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    That is, if you don't eat them. I've seen a wide range of life spans listed anywhere from 4-12 years. Just wondering what your experiences have been. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Under good conditions, it is not unusual for a chicken to live to 10 years or beyond. We had our little Grandma B , a buff brahma bantam, just pass away. She was about seven when we got her which was about two years ago. She lived a good life.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends what you mean. Even aside from predators, there are a lot of things can go wrong with a laying chicken, so it does not seem like many make it past 5 or 6 or 7 ish. They CAN live a lot longer than that. But if you start with, like, half a dozen chicks this year, it is pretty unlikely that any will still be around ten years from now, even with good care. Indeed it is not uncommon to lose a small percentage in their first few months of lay, i.e. less than a year old.

The probability distribution of lifespans in chickens is a lot different-shaped than in humans.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    There is actually a category for "World's Oldest Chicken" in the 2009 Guiness Book of World Records. Seems a hen in Alabama named Matilda was 16 when she passed. Here's her Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_(chicken)

I doubt she was laying too many eggs at that age!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Someone on BYC had a 16 yr old chicken lay an egg, I know, and I am pretty sure I recall a couple people speak of having 18 and 19 yr old chickens.

Pat

6. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a friend with 4 hens, well, 3 now, that turned 14 years last Spring. The first of the girls to die died this last Spring. The other 3 are still going.

7. cackilacky

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Wow, those are some old chickens! Just started wondering about it because we have 5 chickens who are more or less all the same age. This means that they'll stop laying around the same time, so in a few years will have to add more and so on...Not that much room in the hen house and we're vegetarians. Might have to find a hen retirement home somewhere! [​IMG]

8. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

Or.....you could add on to the coup!!!! start your own retirement coup![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Whats there secret [​IMG]

10. cackilacky

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I was starting to think the same thing myself! We do have the room. Yet more animals on the horizon! Anyone ever read "Enslaved by Ducks?"

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by