How long do chickens take to hatch out ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by count duckula, Jul 3, 2010.

1. count duckula

count duckula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Silver Spring
    We have 6 chicken eggs in the incubator. 1 has hatched. He started chirping about 7:00am and hatched about 6:00pm, but no action out of the other eggs. just want to know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Did you lock them down with higher humidity for hatching? They take 21 days to hatch, lockdown is day 18. Perhaps some research is in order...there is some GREAT threads on here that will teach you A TON about hatching! [​IMG]

3. Pokey11

Pokey11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2007
    My bantys usually hatch in about 19 days. I have 3 hens sitting right now and I forgot to write the date on their eggs, and it seems like its been weeks! It is about 110 each day, so I have been giving them frozen water bottles in late morning which usually lasts tell 5PM when I take them away. What I am thinking is -- did the eggs get to much heat and they will not hatch? This has happened before, and I just hate to think of all that time wasted trying to hatch these eggs. But Monday is it -- off they go -- I need them to get back into production, because we really miss the eggs. I am only getting about 1 to 3 eggs a day, and what with baking etc., I need more production.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

Also the type of incubator and temp makes a difference!Lower heats will take you to day 21..........Mine are usually day 19-20 but i will keep them on lockdown till day 23. I have had some hatch really late.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Are any of the others pipped? They can take a couple of days [​IMG] long enough to make you blind and crazy from trying to see [​IMG] If you go do anything else they might start hatching as long as you keep trying to watch they just sit there

6. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:I totally agree!
    If you are asking how long it takes once they start hatching it all depends. Some of mine have hatched in a few hours and I have ad some taken 48 hours. My average is about 18 hours.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. count duckula

count duckula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Silver Spring
    Lock Down On Friday Sunday Will Be 21 Day Humidity Is 68%

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:As in they locked down yesterday? If so, that's perfect! Now just sit back and watch...and don't open that bator!!! [​IMG]

9. chickenfamily1

chickenfamily1 New Egg

May 28, 2014
    What do u do if a chick has hatched do u open bator or do thay stay toll the rest hatch

10. Demidog

Demidog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Macedonia
    Wait for the rest to hatch, it will be fine in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by