1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long do chickens usually live?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tinkerchick, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Tinkerchick

Tinkerchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Heber City, UT
    How long do chickens usually live for?
    How long do they lay eggs?

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i dont know how long their natural life. they lay a lot of eggs for two years, then off and on.

3. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I read 8 to 10 year average. I saw a post here about a 16 year old hen that layed an egg.

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I have read that 10 to 15 years is the norm. My oldest hen is about 8. She lays a couple clutches of eggs every spring.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, ill own up to being mum to 16 year old Goldilocks a buff orp, she laid an egg this morning!!!I think it depends on the breed. I know that Isa browns dont usually have a long life span.

6. Florida_girl

Florida_girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2007
    SW Florida
    Here is a great chart. and a great site check it out.
    http://www.allaboutchickens.tk/

Bantams lay smaller eggs than large fowl, and in cookery, 2 bantam eggs should be used to 1 normal egg.

Every year, hen will lay 80% of the eggs she laid the previous year, so assuming she laid 200 eggs in her first year then the pattern would go like this:
    First year: 200 eggs
    Second year: 160 eggs
    Third year: 128 eggs
    Fourth year: 102 eggs
    Fifth year: 82 eggs
    Sixth year: 66 eggs
    Seventh year: 52 eggs
    Eigth year: 42 eggs

And so on, however many chickens, even those kept as pets will not make it past their 5th year. Most commercial producers will kill all their layers at 18 months of age because they become uneconomical to keep. They then replace the old layers with new ones and the process begins again. However, to the small hobby keeper, egg numbers will not matter as much so they may be kept for significantly longer than that. People who keep them as pets will usually keep them until they die.

7. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I read that the average lifespan is 4-7 years. But I wonder if that's because so many get culled (one way or another)?? I'd really like to know what the natural lifespan of a chicken is.

8. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:FG, are you saying that they're culled, or that they die naturally at a younger age??

9. Florida_girl

Florida_girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2007
    SW Florida
    That came from the website I sent.
    http://www.allaboutchickens.tk/
    I think from illness or culling. I believe they can live too about 10-15 years as pets.

10. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    the egg chart is great. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by