1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long do chicks need the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 10, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

How long do the chicks need the heat lamp for? Do you use it less and less like just at night or do you shut it off at a certain point?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Until they are fully feathered, around 8 weeks.

Start with the heat at 95* in the brooder, decrease by 5* each week.

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Just watch you chicks and the weather. If its nice out and there about 3 weeks or older i turn it off. But only if the temperature is in the 60 or higher

4. chicken-head

chicken-head New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Co.derry
    What size of bulb would you need for baby chicks at this time if year it's very cold out there yet?

5. wantedman66

wantedman66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    connecticut
    A hundred watt would work or those red brooding lights,just keep it low enough and to one side of brooder so they can get away from it if they get too hot,and in this weather make sure they are fully feathered out usually 3-6 weeks

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would go 6 weeks.

7. chickd

chickd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    they are amber links and light bramaha
    They are 3-4 weeks old
    The temp is 37 f in days and colder at night

And how to introduce my old chickens to the chicks and a old Bantum hen chicken

Help [​IMG]

8. VtotheAL

VtotheAL Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    Colorado
    Hi. I'm brand new to chickens. I'm wondering about this same topic. My chicks are 2 and 5 days old (a Barred Rock & a Red Star). Right now their lamp is positioned to give them a 95* area. If I decrease it by 5* each week for 8 weeks, the temp in the brooder would be 55*, if it were outside. I'm brooding them inside my house, and the house temp is a constant 72*. Could I not just remove the heat lamp altogether after 4 weeks?

9. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you are keeping them inside and it is 72 then you can remove the heat, they will be fine.

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My babies are 5 weeks old and they never had a mom, I put them in a broody box with a silky and everyone is happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by