How long do chicks peep for?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tulie13, Sep 8, 2009.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    My sister's friend got some RIR pullets, supposedly 3 months old, and they are all still "peeping". I don't remember any of my birds peeping at that age - they had all started "talking" by then. Is she getting the wool pulled over her eyes? [​IMG]

Unfortunately she got them from the same hatchery that sold me 8 RIR sexed chicks in April, supposed to be girls, all 8 were boys. The guy said he'd do a trade-out and even loan me a cage so I could quarantine, but then he never called back or returned my calls after that. [​IMG] Plus side - I did learn how to whack roos! [​IMG]

2. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    I can provide one data point - mine are 7 weeks old, and two of them have started changing from peeping to clucking. The rest are still cheepers.

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Mine are 7 weeks old atm, and still peeping away. However there is one or two who are starting to do the " phhhhheeeep" rather than the "peep" lol its so funny when their little peeps start to change!

I remember our first girls were peeping until about 10-12 weeks before theys tarted to change over... it was shortly before we had them moved to the new coop that they started to do the beginning clucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by