How long do chicks stay with thier Mommas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Daisymay, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Good morning! I am new to the board. We have 5 black sex links that are about a year and a half old. This is our 1st flost and they free range. We have an Easter laying flock made of of a merry band of 2 Road Island Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, and 3 that I thought were Ameracaunas, but have turned out to be stripey Easter eggers, and to boot, one is a liitle cockerl. The 2nd flock is about 14 weeks old and they are penned but range in the evening.
    One of the sex links went crazy when we got the 2nd flock. It took us a while to figure out she went broody and after a failed broody pen trail I bought her 7 day old silkies. She has been an excellent mom. The silkies are about six weekes old.
    My question is this. How long do chicks stay with their mothers? Momma has started to lay and stopped making those "come and get food" calls to the chicks. The chicks clearly want to be with momma but momma seems pretty here nor there about them. While she is still protective she doesn't keep up with them like she did. She has recently lost one to a hawk.

Thanks,
    Nikki

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Welcome to the board! [​IMG]

I had a broody BO who hatched out 6 adopted EE/Russian Orloff mixed babies. At 6 1/2 weeks momma "cut the apron strings" and sent the babies on their own. Up to then she was the perfect momma, but now she chases them away if they get too close to her. They are now 11 weeks old and doing just fine on their own. I think it really varies with each individual hen.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

And pretty much what sgtmom said!

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I agree. At about 6 weeks mom started laying again. The teens are now on there own. A funny little group.[​IMG] Always in trouble.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My Momma hen has one baby 6 weeks old, she still "helps" her baby, baby still follows her around, and now and then she'll catch a bug or something for her baby.
    But the baby is pretty much on her own, Mom got up to roost at night a week or so ago - did take baby with her, baby slept either between her feet or next to her for the first few nights, but mom has now cut those ties, and baby has to find her own place... which has been difficult.
    (last night the baby slept on the floor of the coop - all the big hens were pecking at her each time i put her on the roost, so I left it be for last night)

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Mine always start pushing the babies away between 5-6 weeks. This seems to be the norm. And the babies definitely don't understand for a little while, but she will gently, yet firmly, teach them to be on their own.
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

7. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Thank you all. Sounds like they are on schedule. Thanks for the welcome!

Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by