How long do cory cats live?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Dec 20, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just wondering cuz mine are like 6 years old now. Male and female. They used to lay eggs alot before I moved them to a smaller tank.

2. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    They can go 10-15 years if well cared for. I can't keep corys alive in my tank for anything, which I hate, 'cause I like the little buggers!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh Lord! That long? If you weren't so far away you'd be getting two for Christmas!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I did a little googling and it appears yours are just youngsters. Several hits saying they have lived to nearly 30 years.

When I was a kid. Every year when we were on vacation, the power would go out and I lost everything except the pleco. So for me <1 year.

Imp

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

The dang fish are gonna outlive me!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

We just inherited our albino pleco Bob. I'm not sure if cory cat is similar to a pleco. He is about 7 years old. He used to share a tank with cichlids, but he out lived em all. [​IMG] He now shares a tank with some peaceful community fish.

Googled cory cat. I guess they are similar. [​IMG] It's been awhile since we have raised fish at our house.

Bluemoon

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I feel this way about my pet California Kingsnake. It was cool having a pet snake when I was a teenager, but I feel it is going to be odd for a white haired granny! He is now somewhere between 25 and 30 years old and getting truly geriatric. Pathetically decrepit is more like it. So he is not likely to make it to my grannyhood.

I have a small school of Corydoras barbatus that are 12 years old and still breeding. My Jaguar Catfish is even older. I had a school of twelve Clown Loaches for 15 years (bought as 1 inchers at around the same time I acquired my king snake); they are now living in a 500 gallon aquarium at the fish store where I worked as a teen, so they are also getting close to 30 and almost all of them are over a foot long.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine lasted a good 10+ years. I lost track exactly, could have been 11 or 12 years [​IMG] The oldest one might have hit 13.
    I got them when I was 12 or 13 and my sister took over caring for them when I moved out to college.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've had them live at least 8-10 yrs (I forget) and then get passed along to another person when I went off to college, so I'd say "at least that long". Honestly a very large number of fish will live for a decade or decades in nature or in GOOD aquarium conditions. It is really depressing to face the realization that the aquarium industry (both the business end, and consumers) by and large treats these animals as disposables.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine lived 13-14 years. They are one of my favorite fish. They're so cute, peaceful and just forage around all day. Like little chickens in the tank. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by