How long do duckings need a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Sep 10, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I bought 6 muscovie duckings a few weeks ago. They are between 3-4 weeks old now. I have them in a pen in the garage with a 125w heat lamp bulb in a corner of their pen. I turn it off on warm days but keep it on at night. The days here in NE Wisconsin vary from 65-80 degrees. The nights now are 35-50 degrees. I'm used to brooding duck/chicks in the spring when the days keep getting longer and warmer. Not in the fall when it is the opposite. I'm guessing they need the heat light for another 2-3 weeks, or should I wait until they are feathered out to move them to the outside duck pen?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Quote:feathered out would be best time to move them outside, you could probably change your 125watts for 60 -75 watts, they can keep each other pretty warm after 4 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Will do, thank you Miss Lydia! That's what I do in the spring duh, I should have figured that out on my own [​IMG]
    Quote:feathered out would be best time to move them outside, you could probably change your 125watts for 60 -75 watts, they can keep each other pretty warm after 4 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We moved our 2 outside at 4 weeks but brought them in to the tub with a heat lamp at night. It's been really warm here....FINALLY! They are 6-7 weeks old now and tonight they are going to stay out for the first time....again, it's not cold...maybe in the 50's at night. We have a doghouse for them with a night light on, and a ton of shavings on the floor. You KNOW I'll be out there at 3AM checking on them [​IMG]

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:My husband installed a camera in our duck house so I wouldn't be checking on them constantly when we first put them in out in the duck house. Nothing luck a nervous new duck owner!

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    LOL 3:41AM and just checked on them....they are just fine.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by