1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do duckings need a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Sep 10, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I bought 6 muscovie duckings a few weeks ago. They are between 3-4 weeks old now. I have them in a pen in the garage with a 125w heat lamp bulb in a corner of their pen. I turn it off on warm days but keep it on at night. The days here in NE Wisconsin vary from 65-80 degrees. The nights now are 35-50 degrees. I'm used to brooding duck/chicks in the spring when the days keep getting longer and warmer. Not in the fall when it is the opposite. I'm guessing they need the heat light for another 2-3 weeks, or should I wait until they are feathered out to move them to the outside duck pen?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:feathered out would be best time to move them outside, you could probably change your 125watts for 60 -75 watts, they can keep each other pretty warm after 4 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Will do, thank you Miss Lydia! That's what I do in the spring duh, I should have figured that out on my own [​IMG]
    Quote:feathered out would be best time to move them outside, you could probably change your 125watts for 60 -75 watts, they can keep each other pretty warm after 4 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We moved our 2 outside at 4 weeks but brought them in to the tub with a heat lamp at night. It's been really warm here....FINALLY! They are 6-7 weeks old now and tonight they are going to stay out for the first time....again, it's not cold...maybe in the 50's at night. We have a doghouse for them with a night light on, and a ton of shavings on the floor. You KNOW I'll be out there at 3AM checking on them [​IMG]

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:My husband installed a camera in our duck house so I wouldn't be checking on them constantly when we first put them in out in the duck house. Nothing luck a nervous new duck owner!

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    LOL 3:41AM and just checked on them....they are just fine.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by