How long do ducks lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trainman, Nov 12, 2016.

1. trainman

trainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Huntsville, AR
    I have three Pekin hens left from my original six. They started laying eggs around July 2014. They layed them for about 14 or 16 months and have stopped altogether. Is this normal? No dietary changes or environmental changes that may havee caused them to stop.

Thanks,
    Trainman

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not sure about Pekins - My Runners have slowed down but still lay at least a couple times a week spring and summertime. They are 7 years old.

3. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    Are they molting? My female laid every single day until she started to molt & she stopped altogether. Now that the molting has stopped she has started back. However it has been gradual... before her molt I knew I would have a egg every day- no matter what! Now she skips days, sometimes a couple of days. They also were very small(for a duck) about the size of a chicken egg when she started back; only a couple of weeks ago. [She is a Pekin]

4. trainman

trainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Huntsville, AR
    Well, there are 3 hens and they haven't produced an egg among them since around January 2016. Pretty long molt! I was thinking that but it's been 11 months now. Even before this they weren't very good layers. I just assumed ducks weren't very productive. I started with 6 hens and the most I ever got was 2 a day.
    Thanks,
    Trainman

5. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    Hmmmm... idk. Like you said they may just not be great layers. I'm fairly new to being a Duck Mom myself, so I would be lying if I even pretended to act like I knew what was going on![​IMG] lol-- I just knew my Pekin stopped during her molt, but January? That would be some molt!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by