How long do eggs keep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN, Dec 14, 2011.

1. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    How long do eggs keep in the refrigerator?? Just wondering!

2. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Anyone Know?

3. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've heard the ones from the grocery store can be a month old when you buy them and have a 2 or 3 week shelf life on the package still. So I say at least a month but I would do the float test before you cook if your not sure, or crack them in a separate bowl and smell them first.

Hope some one has a better answer

4. RWPower

RWPower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    If they float in water, they're bad.

They keep in the fridge for at least a month.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    http://www.statpub.com/open/94948.html

Read
    this publication,it will give you a better idea. It basically says that FDA guidelines says store eggs can be there for 30 days but it doesn't tell you when they were laid which I would assume a few weeks prior. Buying store eggs is like a box of chocolates you never know when they were laid.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:COLD STORAGE The practice of holding eggs in refrigerated warehouses. Commercial cold storage of eggs began in the U.S. in 1890. Because egg production was then seasonal, cold storage could hold the spring and summer surplus for release during periods of relative scarcity in autumn and winter, thus avoiding drastic price fluctuations.
    http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/coldstorage.html

Chris

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    an unwashed refrigerated egg can last 6 months.

Mother earth news did a study to find out the best preservation method (pickling, oiling etc). The found that the eggs usually dont spoil, but dehydrate. Washing them removed the cuticle which protects the egg from dehydration.

Most people suggest not to attempt to hard boil an egg until its a month old or it will stick to the shell.

For me - I've never had an egg wait around that long!

Hope this helps.

8. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Quote:I knew there was a reasoning behind my MIL telling me not to wash them untill you use them. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by