How long do eggs last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thegirliesmom, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Thegirliesmom

Thegirliesmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    [​IMG] I am wondering how long eggs last, now that my girls are giving me eggs..How long will they last out in the coop and do they have to be refrigerated right away??

2. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    In the cooler weather we are having now I just go out once a day in the early evening to gather eggs in. I keep some eggs out on the counter for 3 or 4 days for boiling so they peel easy. The rest I the rest I keep in the fridge, where I have read they will keep for months. I wouldn't know though because we eat them up too fast.

3. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
  4. Thegirliesmom

Thegirliesmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for the info, I really wasnt sure and didnt want to give anyone bad eggs!!!!

5. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    you would be suprised how old the ones you buy in the store are.I keep mine in the frige,But I also give some to various people so they don't have a chance to get old.I knew that you had to let them season a few weeks so that you could hard boil them and peel easy,But I didn't know if you left them out on the counter it would also help the peeling process.[​IMG]

6. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    To be able to peel easy a very fresh egg needs to either age in the fridge for 2 weeks or at room temp for 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by