How long do eggs last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ntankovich, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ntankovich

ntankovich Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I have four dozen eggs in my fridge now. This winter has been good to us so far! My family had the flu a couple weeks ago though and I'm thinking atleast one of these containers is two months old. I didn't feel like cooking anything or really even moving from the couch. Do I pitch them? Is there any way to tell if they've gone bad? I don't really wash my eggs just toss them in the fridge. Thoughts?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. ntankovich

Aug 8, 2013
    Holy moly! That's awesome! Thanks!

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Put an egg in a glass of water.

If it floats, there is a significant air pocket inside.

Be cautious when breaking open these eggs, as they are no longer fresh, but not necessarily bad.

5. ntankovich

Aug 8, 2013
    I went ahead and cooked them to make freezer breakfast sandwiches. Tried one.. So far I'm not sick. Crossing my fingers that I won't be:)

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You won't be sick. They just won't taste as good as fresh eggs.

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    They should be fine. I don't wash eggs either, and they keep just fine in the refrigerator for at least 3 months if not longer. If an egg smells bad (like sulfur) when you crack it, throw it out.

Because eggs tend to stockpile pretty fast at our house, I started putting the date on the large end of each egg (with #2 pencil) before putting it in the egg carton. That way, I don't lose track of how old the eggs are, and I'm sure to always use the oldest ones first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by