How long do feathers take to grow in?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KiminPA, May 2, 2017.

1. KiminPA

KiminPA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA
    9/10 of my hens were bare backed when I got rid of my rooster. A couple of them had saddles on but they were completely bare anyway when he left. I've been feeding them feather fixer with boss treats most days but it's been at least 2 months and they still don't have feathers. My husband thinks they have some stubble but I feel like they should have grown in by now. What's the normal time frame? I don't see mites on them or anything like that. I have seen them pulling feathers from each other but I feel like that's just bc it's so bare. I have also been spraying blukote on a couple times a week to deter that.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the entire feather came out, you should see new feathers by now. If just a part of the shaft was left, they will not grow new feathers until they molt, probably this fall.

I don’t know to what extent they are picking feathers off of each other. That may be contributing.

3. KiminPA

KiminPA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA

Dang. Will I need to do anything so they don't get sunburned this summer? And am I wasting the feather fixer then? Can I do anything to get the rest of the shaft out? Or will that hurt them? Sorry so many questions. I didn't realize they were going to be baldys til fall!

I have to be in the coop for over an hour doing work before I see one pick a feather so I don't think it's contributing toooo much.

Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by