How long do fertilized eggs last

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mystus808, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mystus808

mystus808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    My hen has been laying eggs but at a very slow rate, so i was wondering how long the eggs will remain fertile.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'd say 14 days or more. Because that's how long it takes a hen to lay her clutch right? [​IMG]

3. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I believe I have read that it takes 21 days for a chick to hatch but I believe I read on hear that eggs can sorta just "sit" without much going on till the hen starts to sit on them all the time. Kind of like hibernation for a week or so but I could be remembering the whole thing wrong...maybe more will chime in soon.

4. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I have heard 10 days and then the hatch rate after that starts to go down, I am new to this so I am not sure.

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

6. mystus808

Jan 15, 2011
    thank you for all the help i guess i have less time than i was hoping for... only 7 days according to the website for the best outcome.

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Now remember that is Ideal conditions... I have seen hatches from a few week old eggs before.. It all depends on how they are treated, as well as the condition of the egg.

8. mystus808

Jan 15, 2011
    yup thanks for the help

9. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I butchered one of my roos in November. I incubated some eggs 10 days after I butchered him and I had a lot of eggs that he fertilized hatch with excellent fertility rates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by