How long do hens actually lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 19hhbelgian, May 10, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I love my girls, and it's great having the benefit of eggs, but I was wondering how long an average hen will keep laying... This is the first time we've had hens (the first time we got 12 packing peanuts with no egg benefits with our duck order!!). They were wonderful roos's - not nasty at all, which is why I got hens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It can vary tremendously by hen, but a hen's peak production is usually the first two years. Then, on average, production drops about 15% after each molt.

3. hrtgtrkys&chicks

hrtgtrkys&chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Hendersonville
    I have 4 Rhode Island Reds that just turned 2 in March. They were laying an average of 3-4 eggs/day last yr. They slowed down in the winter which was rather cold. I even heat their coop in the winter. This spring they have been giving me maybe 1/day. Is this normal for this age?

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have three australorps that were given to me when they were 3 and 4 years old. In the last 2 years I have been getting at least 3 eggs/week from each of them spring, summer and fall. I find them on the nest at least as often as my 1 year olds.

5. hrtgtrkys&chicks

hrtgtrkys&chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Hendersonville
    I have 4 Rhode Island Reds that just turned 2 in March. They were laying an average of 3-4 eggs/day last yr. They slowed down in the winter which was rather cold. I even heat their coop in the winter. This spring they have been giving me maybe 1/day. Is this normal for this age?

6. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have three australorps that were given to me when they were 3 and 4 years old. In the last 2 years I have been getting at least 3 eggs/week from each of them spring, summer and fall. I find them on the nest at least as often as my 1 year olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by