How long do hens stay "fertile"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatkeepers, Dec 27, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I have been letting my three hens free range during the day and just now when I went to close them up for the night, I saw that the neighbors rooster was in there with them! I don't want to take the chance and eat a fertilized egg; so how long do I need to wait until their eggs will be un-fertile again?
    Thanks so much!!

2. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I am not really sure. I guess I am not much help but, you can eat fertilized eggs.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    you don't want to eat fertilized eggs? you can. it is my understanding a month

4. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, we are both vegetarians so eating fertilized eggs is too weird for us..
    A month is a long time! [​IMG]

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Hens will lay fertile eggs for as long as a month. You might consider that a fertile egg is not necessarily growing into a chick. They don't grow until they are incubated. It's just a potential life in there, but not exactly alive, in a sense.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You should be fine to eat them in 2 weeks, like the others said there is no reason (even if your a veg) that you cant eat them... Nothing forms inside of them in till the are incubated by a hen or a bator. So in till they are incubated they are just like any other egg.

Here is a post that can help you tell if an egg is fertile why dont you crack a few open to see if they are (never know maybe the rooster didnt get all your hens)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

7. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks! [​IMG]

8. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Not to totally freak you out, but didn't somebody here incubate store bought eggs and have development? So, what I'm saying is that even store bought eggs have the potential to be fertile.

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes, wish I could remember the store they got them from...
    Ohhh.... I think it was Safeway ??? Does that sound right ??

I know someone got a chick from one of the eggs !!

10. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    That was it! Crazy stuff......

IDK, not being a vegetarian, I don't have an issue with eating fertilized eggs, but I can see how someone would.

My way to look at it though, it's a wonderful present from your chickens. They give it to you with love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by