How long do hens stop laying in Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alabama ee, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I am sure this varies from breed to breed. How long do your EE's stop laying during the winter? In the past, our EE's have stopped laying for about 4 months during the winter. It only gets really cold, where the temps get below 20, a few days of the year. Usually, most winter days are in the 30-40's.

Also, we are thinking about getting some buff sex links, (comets). Do they lay all winter?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Eeek! Mine are just due to start laying in mid Oct. I hope they don't quit again right away. Do you give them a little extra light in the coop? Would it help and not hurt to give them 15 hours a day?

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    My four EE's did not quit laying last winter.

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Mine started laying in November and went pretty steady all the way through their first winter (last year). I didn't give additional light but they were in a pen/room that got the maximum natural light possible and got quite warm during the day (sunshine) even when it was quite cold outside. I hope they don't quit this winter.

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    None of mine stopped laying last winter. (My first winter with chickens)

6. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

This is our first Winter with Chickens. We are going to put the heat lamp out in the coop, and the coop has good ventilation up by the roof to let some fresh air in but not rain or snow. Were are thinking of insulating it too if need be. ...Is that still necessary with the heat lamp??
    The coop is 4ft x 6ft. Were hoping the heat lamp prevents the water from freezing too, but if not we will purchase a electric water heater base.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by