How long do I give antibiotics??

I think you give antibiotics every 3-4 days, until the bird is healthy-- that's what I read.

The back of the packaging should tell you (I think) .

I think you give antibiotics every 3-4 days, until the bird is healthy-- that's what I read.

The back of the packaging should tell you (I think) .
The duramycin that TSC had was the 72-200 for cattle so I literally was told to put one drop in her mouth but wasn’t told if it’s a one time thing...so I should definitely give it again? She hasn’t laid an egg in 2.5wks and is only a year old

I was told how to give my chickens the duramycin but am I suppose to give it once or once a day??
The duramycin that TSC had was the 72-200 for cattle so I literally was told to put one drop in her mouth but wasn’t told if it’s a one time thing...so I should definitely give it again? She hasn’t laid an egg in 2.5wks and is only a year old

Tell us what's going on with your bird.

Is there an infection, is she exhibiting respiratory-related signs? If so, could you elucidate on that?

Tell us what's going on with your bird.

Is there an infection, is she exhibiting respiratory-related signs? If so, could you elucidate on that?
No signs of respiratory distress, when I first noticed that there was something wrong with her she wasn’t coming out of the coop she had both eyes closed and she was like that for about two weeks in that time She wasn’t eating or drinking because her eyes were closed 24/7 so she couldn’t see where she was going so she hasn’t laid an egg since this all started. she’s now eating and drinking by herself she got her eyes opened talking but she still has not laid an egg. it almost looked like she was going blind but there was a worm or something inside of the eyeball but now that has like shrank back and still see a little bit but it’s not all the way there. I just don’t want her to die because I’ve over medicated her or put her back outside too soon.

No signs of respiratory distress, when I first noticed that there was something wrong with her she wasn’t coming out of the coop she had both eyes closed and she was like that for about two weeks in that time She wasn’t eating or drinking because her eyes were closed 24/7 so she couldn’t see where she was going so she hasn’t laid an egg since this all started. she’s now eating and drinking by herself she got her eyes opened talking but she still has not laid an egg. it almost looked like she was going blind but there was a worm or something inside of the eyeball but now that has like shrank back and still see a little bit but it’s not all the way there. I just don’t want her to die because I’ve over medicated her or put her back outside too soon.

I don't think I would use the Duramycin, right now.

Could you bring the hen inside, and set her in a warm, towel-lined area, with feed and water provided? I would try offering her soupy feed often, as well as try dripping a drop of a poultry vitamin or Gatorade along her beak to keep her hydrated.

There are a lot of problems that could cause what you're seeing, so you'll need to provide us with more information about the hen and your setup.

How old is she? Where did you get her? What is she being fed? Could you check her crop, how does it feel, watery, solid, or like a bean-bag? Do you have any pictures of her poop? How does her abdominal area feel, hard, watery? Could you post a few pictures of her eyes and the hen? What kind of medication have you given her? When did this start? Have you checked her for mites/lice?

Back
Top Bottom