How long do I give them to settle in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Giddyup, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Added 5 new ducks to our existing 2 last saturday. I swore I wouldn't break up our happy couple but....the pre-existing drake is being a real hassle to the others, particularly the two new ladies. Our pre-existing hen does not seem interested to join the new group...not avoiding...just doesn't care (maybe because they don't know how to get to the water?)

The new drakes don't seem to breed but I'm not home during the day ...?

Yes I have too many drakes right now (3 to 4 hens), one is going for sure.

I want a happy flock that will set the mood for the girls to go broody. If he is just too bossy he will have to go.

Am i giving up on him too early?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Depends on what you think the job of the boss duck is. Personally I like a good strong leader. Get rid of the one you think is too bossy and one of the new drakes will take over and probably become as bossy as the one you got rid of. In a flock of 2 drakes and four ducks, the boss drake is going to be the daddy of about 80% of new ducklings. #2 drake is going to mate when he gets lucky or the boss is busy elsewhere. If you don't like that, set up breeding pens.

3. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Thanks GD. Breeding pens are on the agenda for this summer to plan for next year. I'd really like a bluehead drake as well rather than 2 greens.

I did notice the #2 man got some gumption after a couple of days and tried to fend #1 off (not a hope).

So I can see him becoming bossier I suppose. Dumbo was so mild before the others came I guess he caught me off guard!

I've had runners before and when you added a new one...they just blended right in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by