How long do I have to throw the eggs out after worming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mulemom, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm worming with bovine Ivermectin this evening on the advice of my vet. How long do I need to throw away the eggs?

I'm still not really sure I need to worm them. Check out my post on Diseases and Cures.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If you use fresh Pumpkin...or even canned pumpkin...( no seasonings) you dont have to throw the eggs away.

3. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
  4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Even when I use Ivermec, I still eat the eggs, hasnt killed me yet. It is such a low dose, it shouldnt hurt ya. Just my thoughts and my doings.........................

5. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    It is my understanding that the dose given to birds and then passed on in eggs is low. The reason for all the warnings to discard eggs is just in case someone is allergic to the chemical used. I used sheep wormer on mine and studied levosole and found that it is a compound given to cancer suffers. It is only a problem if you are allergic to it. I tossed eggs because i sell them and did not want to hurt anyone but, for myself i eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by