How long do I have?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beatrixkiddo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. beatrixkiddo

beatrixkiddo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    I have 4-3 week old RIR's. They are currently in a large tote in my house. I am currently working on the coop, but would like to know how long i have before they go outside.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Sometime in the next few weeks. Ours go out of the brooder and into grow out coops at from 5 - 7 weeks old depending on the weather. Better get busy on that coop!
    [​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My little RIRs went outdoor at 3 weeks.

4. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I needed them out of the house at 4 weeks because of the dust. Especially once they learned to flap their little wings!! [​IMG]

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Usually when they're fully feathered at around 7-8 weeks. What part of the country are you in and what's the weather like?

6. beatrixkiddo

beatrixkiddo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    I'm in central Texas. They will be 5 weeks old Jan 1st. Do I need to put a heat lamp in the coop? The person that I bought them from said that they need to be under constant heat for 16 weeks.

7. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Quote:16 WEEKS? Yeah ok..I start my chicks at 90 and drop 5 degrees a week til they hit normal temps. I your case after they are fully feathered they can go out to the coop without heat, however being January a little heat may help them acclimate. That said I would not heat the coop full time. My goal would be to get them off the heat so I'd keep dropping the temps until they are acclimated to you temps there.

Good luck.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I live in central Texas & tonight it will be in the teens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by