How long do I leave eggs? Pics now

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flock-mama, Jun 11, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    With one eggs hatched and 10 left, how long do I wait? 24 hours? The chick that has hatched is dry and chirpping, I want to move them to the coop nursery, but I know I have to leave them where they are at until the eggs that are going to hatch, do. My son guesses the one that hatched first must have been laid first. Would that be true?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I hatch 8 for like 6 days im new at this so what i done probly an't right.I took my eggs that didnt hatch to my ear and scratch it and i heard them chirp they started fri and the last one today.I have one i didnt hear anything so i reakon it didnt make it .thats what i done.Like i said im new just telling what i done good luck

3. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Was that in a bator or under a hen?

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The chicks are ok in the incubator up to three days as they're finishing absorbing the yolk. If you don't have any more activity on the other eggs after 2-3 days, then it's possible the others aren't going to hatch, but it's too early now to know. Leave the one in the incubator until fully dry, at least, but it's peeping should help encourage the others to come out. [​IMG]

As for the first one hatched... well, I have Bobwhites that lay one egg a day, so I save then for one or two days before setting them in the incubator. I've found that the one most recently laid is the one that hatches first. And this has happend out of about 5 hatches now.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  5. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    in my bator

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    On what # day of your incubation did the first one hatch? They can go 25 days or so sometimes in a late hatch. When did you last candle them? Did they all apear to have a chick growing inside?

7. tnearhood

tnearhood New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    does anyone know how long you can let eggs in the coop during the summer?

8. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok thanks, my eggs are under a hen, she is in a dumb spot in the yard, not in my coop. I guess I should let nature takes its course and see what the other chickens think of her coming in with babies. I just don't want any to be killed!!!! I didn't let others free range today just to be safe away from her.

I candled last thursday and they were dark, I couldn't see a thing. Not knowing she was even sitting, or how long, I have been watching her like a hawk, My guess is they were on day 15 or 16. So this morning saw one dry lil chick and I don't want to bother her so there may be more under her. I only hear chirpping of one.

I have 5 baby chicks coming next wed, can I trust her to be their mommy too?

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Many people have great success slipping new chicks under a hen but you should also be aware of the outcome of those who are not successful. Go out at night and slip the new chicks under her. She may accept them happily. You just have to watch her with them. She can also go the opposite way and try to kill them.

10. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I just feel a little bad, I REALLY believed the eggs would not hatch, so Monday I made the order, I don't want to put the feed store in a spot. But I am sure someone would take the ones I ordered, I promised my Hubby I wouldn't run a light this year on babies, So emagine how happy I was to find a Mommy! [​IMG] I will see what I get out of eggs and call the feed store just to let her know what has happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by