HOW long do I leave new chick in bator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shangri-lafarms, Aug 31, 2008.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I woke up this morning and today is day 20, I have a pip, the egg is def. cracked but no hole in it yet, does that count for a pip?? And how much longer, I am really hovering over the bator....LOL...just wondering from you experienced folks .....thanks

UPDATE

the baby is out there on PICS on my day 18 thread......So how long do I leave the new chickie in the bator??? I have the brooder set up and I know I should leave it until it dries right??? But how long is too long to leave it in there, he or she is an early hatch day20 hopefully the others will hatch out tommorrow......will it be okay overnight in there??

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chicks can take up to 24-48 hours to fully emerge from the egg. Keep the bator closed until the hatch is complete. Good luck!

Jody

3. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Hey my babie is out but how long can he stay in the bator????

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you have other pipping going on it's best to leave all chicks in til the hatching is over...they will be just fine for up to 2 days in there...if it gets crowded then you can take a few out that have hatched but its hard on the ones that have pipped the shells if the temps and humidity drop....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    thanks for the advice, I hope the others will pip tommorrow....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by