HOW LONG DO I LET FEMALE DUCK SIT ON INFERTILE EGGS?

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
I have 2 muscovy hens that are sitting on eggs that are infertile. I'm positive of this. The one has been sitting so long a couple eggs are turning dark. But both hens are very dedicated. How long do I let them sit on the eggs? And when I do take the eggs, how do I do it that is easiest on the hen?

35-37 days is the longest I let mine sit.

You should candle all of the eggs just in case one is viable. If all are bad, toss them, destroy their nest, and hopefully the hens give up. If they don't give up you should break them of of their broody behavior. I break mine by putting them in a 12' x 12' cage on plain dirt.

just destroy the infertile eggs. If there are any good ones. let them be.
If a fox came and ate all the eggs, the hen would get over it immediately, so why should you taking them be any different ??
forget about the golf balls.
bad eggs do not retain heat. that is how a chicken or duck can tell if it is fertile or not. often they will roll the bad egg out of the nest.
hopefully the duck will lay some new and fertile eggs..
......jiminwisc....

35-37 days is the longest I let mine sit.

You should candle all of the eggs just in case one is viable. If all are bad, toss them, destroy their nest, and hopefully the hens give up. If they don't give up you should break them of of their broody behavior. I break mine by putting them in a 12' x 12' cage on plain dirt.
Do you have to break broody ducks? I read that they aren't as bad as broody chickens. :confused:

It doesn't matter really, I won't be caging my birds to break their broodiness. I will just take the eggs and destroy the nests. Like I planned to do once they start laying.

I just let it run it's course I haven't found that even destroying the nest makes much difference, I do take all eggs away. As long as mine come out to eat and drink and poop I just let them go. Same with my hens I have no way to cage anyone safely to break broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom