How long do i let hens set on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlil101, May 11, 2010.

1. chickenlil101

chickenlil101 New Egg

May 17, 2009
    usa
    My hens have been setting on the nest for 23 days. What should i do?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Do you have fertilized eggs under her? the usual set time is 21 days but could go 1 or 2 more day longer. Have you candled the eggs to see if they are viable and have developed?

Is it possible to get some day old chicks to put under Momma so she will get off the nest and eat and drink?

Good Luck
    Sorry got a little ahead of myself. Thinking of 2 different things. sorry about that.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Huh? I am confused! [​IMG]

To the OP, it might be a good idea to candle the eggs, to check viability.

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I used to check my broodie's once a day.I had sometimes a few hens that would lay in same box.I would mark the egg's with an X the first 7-10 days then if another new egg appeared an - .Hens will usualy roll out unfertile or unhatchable egg's.I have salvaged however a couple of ditched eggs by a couple of frizzle hens.I took the eggs and candled them and they were good and put in inc. and a couple actualy hatched.Then again I have had hens sit till egg's rotted and broke in nest not fertile.Phew [​IMG].Chickens only lay an egg a day so don't take the egg's away just because they dont hatch on day 21 give them time.Mama hen's are natural and she may sit those last few eggs a lot longer.

5. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    Man I am so bummed I left my mamma banty this morning with a little 5 day old chick under her and 3 eggs still to hatch( was giving her two more days then I was going to remove) and when I came home the little chick was gone! I was beside myself no sign of chick. I should of snatched her up and cared for chick while mother finished other eggs. so I heard up to day 25 to answer you question is when you could get a hatch and then candle then remove is what I would do. But I am still learning obviously. Well good luck on your hatch! i was posting questions about how long to keep hatched chick under mamma before she would give her water but I dont know if she will until all of them hatch.

6. chickenlil101

chickenlil101 New Egg

May 17, 2009
    usa
    Quote:yes they are fertile

7. chickenlil101

chickenlil101 New Egg

May 17, 2009
    usa
    Quote:yes they are fertile

Their are four hens setting on all eggs same nest same eggs!!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by