How long do I let my eggs settle before setting them?/Update on 3rd pg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vicki2x2, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have the bator set up, and I ordered eggs. They are due to arrive Wednesday for one set and Thursday or Friday for the other set. How long should I let them settle before putting them in the bator? Should I wait and put them all in at once? Or a day or two apart?

I ordered chicks too but they were arriving soon enough, so I decided to go both routes!!

Vicki

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    bump....[​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    8 hours and up works best. they have to get room temp

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I let mine sit over-night, but this is my first time hatching so what do I know? [​IMG]

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    it varys from dif people. some let them sit over night and some let them sit for hours.

6. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:What is considered average room temp and why is settling prior to setting so important?

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Ambient room temp is around 70 degrees F. The "resting" is to allow them to reach the ambient temperature and let the content inside stabilize from transit (if having been mailed).

At least, that's what I've gleened from reading posts on BYC. [​IMG]

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:you are correct on that. I usually do 70F-80F and they stil have a good hatch. if you put them into the bator as soon as they come in they will either explode from going 20F-95F or not hatch. Imagine throwing hot water on you car windshield after a snow storm

9. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    What are you using to hatch in? If you only have 2 I would wait until I receive the 2nd batch Thur or Friday, you don't want to open the hatcher in the middle of the most important part of hatching! I've had eggs come on different days of the week and have waited but if they are more then 3 days apart you can go ahead and set them after settling for 6 to 8 hrs. Just my opion. [​IMG]
    Sylvia

10. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    yeah its fine to add both toghether if the seller gave you fresh eggs. If she did then its fine to wait since the eggs are viable for 7 days. the hatchrate goes down after 7 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by