How long do i need to keep my turkeys inside?

vtpoultrymama

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Vermont
I have 10 Broad Breasted White meat turkeys that are just over 3 weeks. They have quite a bit of feathers and are starting to fill out their indoor brooder. It's been about 80-90 here during the day and 60-68 here at night. During the day, they either free range or stay in an outdoor hut that my husband built them. The hut is 8 feet long, wood on the front, back & roof, and hardware cloth on the two ends. They've been in the non heated coop for the last 3 nights, in a crate, but tonight, I wanted to try having them outside in their pen through the night. I kept over thinking it, checking on them and worrying. When I peeked out, they looked tired and nervous. Like they wanted to fall asleep, but were too alert. So I couldn't take it and went out and got them. I put them back in my basement for the night, with a regular light, not a heat lamp. Would they have been okay outside all night, given how warm it is?

Your turkeys will be OK to stay outside. Since there are 10 of them and they all have quite a bit of feathers they won't freeze. Try not to overthink it. Turkeys are made to be able to take a little bit of weather. Hope this helps! :)

Your turkeys will be OK to stay outside. Since there are 10 of them and they all have quite a bit of feathers they won't freeze. Try not to overthink it. Turkeys are made to be able to take a little bit of weather. Hope this helps! :)
Okay, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom