How long do I need to let my turkeys rest in the fridge after saughter and before freezing?

up home

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
How long do I need to let my turkeys rest in the fridge after saughter and before freezing? They are about 17 weeks old and between 20 and 30 lbs.

I like to let things sit for about 2 days. My wife gets them out of there after about 1 day. I wouldn't brine until just before cooking. However, we almost always eat our birds fresh. I don't think I've had a frozen turkey for four years.

Thanks, thats about what we did, having one tomorrow for Canadian Thanksgiving. Can't wait.

Enjoy your HOliday!!!

I don't brine--I find turkey salty enough as it is when I make the pan drippings into gravy. I don't need to add salt to the drippings usually.

I brine a turkey to make sure it is juicy and not dry, it doesn't make the bird too salty, because I wash it off well before cooking. The brine works through osmosis, but it will absorb the seasoning, funny how that works!
droolin.gif

Opps... we always butcher and freeze the same day, never had any problem with the
meat, but I guess next time we will wait 2 or 3 days before freezing.

thumbsup.gif

No we didn't brine the turkey, and it was great. We had a lovely feast and fed about 20 people. Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like it really doesn't matter if you brine or not? Or freeze right away or not?? Something new I might try too. The last turkey's we had, we froze right away. We also had one fresh (did 4 at the same time). We even waited almost a year to eat the last frozen one, and it was STILL good!! (we put them in 4 bags each) We are going to process one big girl today (cause she hurt her leg--too heavy), and we've been debating to do the brine before. It all sounds very interesting, but maybe now I'll wait and let her sit in the fridge for a few days before I freeze her to decide, to brine, or not to brine??
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom