How long do I need to wait for the very first egg?

backyardbewbie

Hatching
Mar 13, 2016
Hi guys, I got these bird in Nov last year, and they were like 45-50 days old, and been waiting, waiting, and waiting...
Any one has any idea when I could possibly have my first egg according to their comb? Thanks a lot.

I got (4) 2wk old pullets (2 RIR & 2 EE) end of Oct '15, they'll be 22wks this coming Wed & I'm waiting. One of the RIR comb & wattle has been redder & bigger than the rest for a month or so. The others are getting red but not as dark as her so I'm assuming she'll be the first to lay. I've read anytime from 20+ weeks depending no the breed, I'm thinking mind should start around the end of next month but it's a waiting game :( I'd like some eggs but at the same time I consider mine "pets with benefits" so they will lay when they're ready :)

I've read somewhere (BYC) you can tell by the color of the comb. Spacing between the pelvic gets wider. Hens will squat when approached or picked up, as they would to accept a Roo mount.

Your birds are older than mine, should start laying in a couple months is my guess. Your RIR (1st pix) has a red comb, think she will be first. The black one (Australorp?) next & looks like the white (Leghorn?) got a while more. Like hatching eggs, the wait is the hardest :)

Thanks for this lot of info.
having mentioned that hens squat when picked up by you, I do notice my Astralorp already started this behaviour, but none of the others. does it mean others are not as mature as Astralorp?

Mine were squatting about a week before laying. Yours look red enough to be laying, keep and eye out for the squat. They crouch and freeze when you touch them and put their wings out slightly. If you pet them a little, they'll stand and shake it all off after. It's cute!

Thanks for this lot of info.
having mentioned that hens squat when picked up by you, I do notice my Astralorp already started this behaviour, but none of the others. does it mean others are not as mature as Astralorp?

Not necessarily, certain breeds take "longer" than others.

Mine were squatting about a week before laying. Yours look red enough to be laying, keep and eye out for the squat. They crouch and freeze when you touch them and put their wings out slightly. If you pet them a little, they'll stand and shake it all off after. It's cute!

Yup, it is cute...Noticed one of my RIR (Ehu) was doing a small squat today when I ran my hand over her back but she's not the one with the reddest comb/wattle. Rojo's comb & wattle has always been the reddest, therefore think she'll lay first. A month ago Ehu squatted & squawked, acted like she was going to lay an egg right in front of me, then got up & joined the rest. Will see who lays first, guessing games are fun :)
Rojo, Dusk, Ehu
Rojo = RIR front Ehu = RIR back Tawny = EE front Dusk = EE back

Back
Top Bottom