How long do I sit on my hands and wait?!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pumpkinpup, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Today is day 20 of my incubation on the clutch of Silver Maran eggs I bought. I had a huge temp spike on day 14 and it has been detramental I am afraid. I do have one pip as of this morning at 8am and the chick is still moving about inside the egg and cheeping this evening at 5:30pm. I must say this at least is a relief but I am still on pins and needles as another egg was making tapping sounds last night and now is not and has not pipped. My nerves are a wreck![​IMG]
    If I make it through this without a melt down it will be a miracle! I started with 18 eggs and of those, only 6 developed developed to the day 14 when I had the spike of 110. I supose all I can do is continue to wait and pray for assistance from above. [​IMG] I'll keep you posted.....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It is now 9:53pm and I have one little wet cheeping baby. I am sooo relieved that it finally made it out of the egg. It's very nerve racking.
    Now, how long should I refrain from opening the incubator and taking the baby out in order to keep the humidity contained in the unit for the other hatching eggs?[​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go ahead and leave him in there for another 24 hours. If there are no more pips, slip him out and let the rest sit till day 22 at least. Day 20 is a bit early but not unusual.

4. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Thanks Silkie. I knew he was a day earlier than what is considered standard hatch day (21) but I was torn over whether it was best to take him out when he was dry or not to because of the humidity issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by