How Long do I use Wazine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whoacowboy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    The chickens have signs of worms. How long (how many days) do I use Wazine? Then I'd like to follow up with Valbazen. How long do I wait after the Wazine to use this? And again, how many days is it used. I've been surfing the forums and there are quite a few combinations.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    One ounce per gallon for 24 hours without any other available water. Then repeat 3 weeks later with wazine or the valbazin. That should do it.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend that you skip the wazine and just use the valbazen, then follow up 10 days later with another dose of valbazen. Administer orally, dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Withdrawal start to finish is 24 days.

4. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Dawg, I've read this from you before. Do I only administer this one day? Then wait the recommended time and administer again? I have also read on the forum the advantage of using Wazine first in case of round worm, and other worms not being able to pass through intestinal track causing blockage and death. True?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Wazine, as with other wormers that are added to water has its disadvantages in that you dont know if a chicken even drank the treated water or drank enough of it to be effective. It would be like them not getting wormed at all. Also during cooler temps, chickens drink less water. When you administer the valbazen into the chickens mouth, you KNOW she got properly wormed and no guesswork.
    Valbazen slowly kills worms over several days, so there isnt any toxic worm overload. The worms are either digested as protein in their digestive system or excreted.
    Go ahead and use valbazen first, then 10 days later redose them again with valbazen.

6. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Thank you. I hope this does it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by