How long do I wait to put my baby turkeys outside?

IdahoPrepper

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Its still cold here in Idaho. I am raising baby chicks and turkeys. I have 9 chicks and 2 turkeys. I read the chicks will be feathered out in 6 weeks. Is this the time I put them outside? Also when can I put my turkeys outside?

Temps here are high 30's low 40's night time and high 60's low 70's day time.

My turkeys names are Christmas and Thanksgiving. :)

Last edited:
With those temperatures you can probably put both the chickens and the turkeys outside around 4-5 weeks. How old are they now? With temperatures that warm, you can start turning the heat lamp off during the day. I put my chicks outside for good around 3 weeks old, with no issues, but most people prefer to wait a while before putting their birds out. Your turkey poults are so cute!

With those temperatures you can probably put both the chickens and the turkeys outside around 4-5 weeks. How old are they now? With temperatures that warm, you can start turning the heat lamp off during the day. I put my chicks outside for good around 3 weeks old, with no issues, but most people prefer to wait a while before putting their birds out. Your turkey poults are so cute!
They are about 4-5 weeks old right now. The light burned out the other night on the turkeys and when we woke up they were shivering in the corner. The utility room we have them in is not heated and drops to near outside temps during the night.

They are about 4-5 weeks old right now. The light burned out the other night on the turkeys and when we woke up they were shivering in the corner. The utility room we have them in is not heated and drops to near outside temps during the night.

Turkeys are a little more susceptible to cold than chickens, so though I'm sure the chicks will be fine, you may want to get a new heat lamp for your turkeys or bring them inside for the night so they don't chill.

Turkeys are a little more susceptible to cold than chickens, so though I'm sure the chicks will be fine, you may want to get a new heat lamp for your turkeys or bring them inside for the night so they don't chill.

Got a new heat lamp that AM. They are GTG now. But at what age can I turn the light off and let them roam the back yard for good?

Back
Top Bottom