How long do I wait

champ

Hatching
Aug 4, 2016
My hen has hatched 7 healthy chick's. The last one is questionable.he can't really get around and appears to be gasping for air. She has 5 more eggs in the nest and I can tell there's babies inside ... they are cold and I was wondering how long to leave them on the nest befor taking them up..

If she has left the nest it's best to remove them. Was it a staggered hatch? If they haven't hatched 2 days after they were supposed to than they won't.

If she has left the nest it's best to remove them. Was it a staggered hatch? If they haven't hatched 2 days after they were supposed to than they won't.
I am not sure what a staggered hatches but yes it's been three days so I'll remove them thank you so much

It's been three days so I'll remove them.. I am new at this so thank you very much. The last chuck hatched also seems to have a problem. He can't stay up he rears back and falls on his back and kinda looks like he's gasping for air. I didn't have the heart to kill him so I am gonna check on him again tonight... any sugrstions

Staggered hatch is when all the eggs weren't set on the same day, so the expected hatch dates vary widely.

Some just don't make it or aren't form correctly. Not much you can do, it will either make it or not.

Last edited:
Oh.... well then yes it was a staggered hatch... so the last one to hatch ,,, the one with the issues hatched eairly this morning

Back
Top Bottom