How long do my chicks have to be inside the house?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarahbethk, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sarahbethk

Sarahbethk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    My husband says the chicks can't go outside yet but they smell SO bad! I clean their box out everyday but they are really smelly little critters!!! I think they are going on two months old.. isn't that old enough to go outside?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First, what is your location? Usually by two months they are fully feathered and can go out even when it's real cold, but I'd still give them a lamp for a while.

I'm in Phoenix and mine go out after one week.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Depends on where you live and your type of coop. If you live in a colder climate I would suggest having a heat source available for the babies inside the coop. It is very hard on their systems to go from a nice warm house to freezing temps, snow and wind! If you live in California, Florida, or anyplace where the temps are a little more stable then they should be just fine going outside.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yep, mine got the boot after 7 weeks but not knowing your climate please add a heat lamp. If that's not possible keep the stinkers in at least during night time.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't brood in the house. My 5 day olds are running around in the coop all day. They go under mama at night only. I've seen them run around at this age in below freezing weather.

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:Me too! I only raised my very first chicks inside, the rest were hatched by a broody...sometimes in the winter.

8. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    ditto with everyone. My first batch of chickens in Oct., I looked at the guy in the feed store when he said 8 week. I was like 8 weeks!!![​IMG] But I ended up keeping them 9 weeks to be sure. Yeah, they stink. Air Freshner. I like febreeze! [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our house is for my wife and I.
    I brood in the barn, 'cause that is what barns are for. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by