How long do my chicks need a heat source ?

lovepawsandclaw

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2015
We live in So. Florida - Inside the house we keep the temp at 80 degrees. New to raising chicks but am doing so inside until they are older then transferring them out to a coop and yard - How long do I have to have them under a heat lamp for if they are inside in a brooder box? I'm so afraid of the heat lamp and leaving it on, so wondering how long I'm going to be not sleeping =/

My brooder is a plastic tub in a bathtub in a room that is 65F. A 95 watt bulb provides plenty of heat for my chicks from 0 - 1 week. I will be dropping to a 67 or 75W for the second week. You don't need a heat lamp unless you are putting it several feet above the brooder, or unless they are outdoors like my 2 week old broiler chicks (20-30F at night)

Last edited:
These chicks range from 1 1/2 weeks to 3 weeks old - 4 different breeds of chicken - Are you saying in the heat lamp I can put a regular 75 watt bulb ? or do I need a different type of lamp? They are in a plastic tub in a room that stays at 80 degrees.

Yes, a plain incandescent light bulb is just fine. The chicks will let you know if it is too hot or too cold. Peeping in unison and huddled means cold. Panting and spread out away from the light means too hot.

They look comfortable.

My gang says it's bedtime...or they did until I popped in to take a picture. Now they are up and chattering and getting a late night snack.

Back
Top Bottom