How Long Do Netherland Dwarves Get?

Poultrybreeder

Crowing
Apr 21, 2017
New Mexico
I know their weights can vary from 1.1-2.5 pounds, but length wise, how large are they? I wanted to get two does, but no bucks, since I only have one rabbit hutch and I don't want a bunch of babies, my hutch is 2 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 4 feet long. I have heard that is big enough for this type.

Unless you spay them, does tend not to live very long - most of mine have lived only about 4 to 5 years.

Though the maximum showable size for Netherland Dwarfs may only be 2 1/2 lbs, they do come larger. Dwarfs without the dwarfing gene can weigh 3 1/2 lbs or more; we call them false dwarfs.

Some of the sweetest, and some of the nastiest rabbits I have had have been Netherland Dwarfs. If a longtime breeder may make a suggestion, go for personality first. Horse people say that a good horse is never a bad color; IMO, that applies to rabbits, too.;)

Unless you spay them, does tend not to live very long - most of mine have lived only about 4 to 5 years.

Though the maximum showable size for Netherland Dwarfs may only be 2 1/2 lbs, they do come larger. Dwarfs without the dwarfing gene can weigh 3 1/2 lbs or more; we call them false dwarfs.

Some of the sweetest, and some of the nastiest rabbits I have had have been Netherland Dwarfs. If a longtime breeder may make a suggestion, go for personality first. Horse people say that a good horse is never a bad color; IMO, that applies to rabbits, too.;)
Because NDs are a small rabbit breed, even unfixed does often live to be 8-10 years. True, personality is very important, but don't buy a rabbit with conformation of a mutt if you're planning on breeding or showing. Sometimes you have to compromise on a rabbit with medium personality and conformation. Do not buy the cheapest thing on the market. A good ND will run $40-$100... for a brood\show quality. These rabbits often have decent personalities. I do not mean to say that conformation is always a major concern, but from a showman's perspective, when I go buying rabbits, I'd rather see it conform to the ARBA standard than be able to hug it. As long as I can care for it, I can train out the nastiness.

You're welcome.
Your hutch should be able to house them.
Trying to remember back ten years lol. I built the ones we had and they were huge.

Have you chosen what colors you are getting? They are super cute as I am sure you know.

I kinda miss my little bunnies even after all these years.

I am sure you will have fun with their antics.
Mine were a white and an otter colored. Super cute and fun to hang out with.
My white made it to 11 years old.

They do live a long time.....

Back
Top Bottom