1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do newly hatched chicks stumble around? - UPDATED WITH PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4boysmom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    My 1st silkie hatched around 5:30 this afternoon and when last I checked ( around 8ish - I've been doing dishes & getting kiddos in bed), it was still stumling around.... This is my 1st time hatching any chicks & I didn't know what to expect.

THANKS!

[​IMG]
    In the Brooder - I'm working with the temp in here - How high should it be ( the brooder is the top temp )

[​IMG]
    Such a little thing!

[​IMG]
    Here is his left foot - can you see how his toes don't look like they grew right?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I only hatched one, but i think that is ok. I worried alot too. Cant tell you not too.......ya just do.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've only hatched with a broody, and they tend to stay under her for a day or two. After that, they seem to have their "sea legs". Remember that chicks can live off the egg yolk for up to three days after they hatch, so there may not be a "want" in them yet. Once they "want" food and water, they'll probably start moving around a bit more.
    If you didn't hatch them via broody, you'll need to show them how to drink. Do that by dipping their beaks in the water dish. Keep them on paper towels for a least a week so they know what their food is and don't confuse shavings for food. I found that they find their food faster if you sprinkle some on the white paper towels.
    Don't put them on newspaper because it may cause leg injuries.
    Good luck, and post some pictures!

4. 4boysmom

Jun 12, 2007
    I still just have 1 chick. "He" seems to have a problem with his feet. He is a silkie, but he has 4 toes on his right foot and on his left, he has 3 normal toes and the 4th/5th are together and a little high ( will try to post pictures tomorrow morning ). This is causing him to have a harder time keeping his balance.

5. 4boysmom

Jun 12, 2007
    The little chick is doing so much better walking around - and falling asleep standing up without falling backwards. I'm really pleased with how well it's doing now, I thought it was really going to have some problems.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It is not unusual for a newly hatched chick to have its toes curl a bit. They usually straighten out. Keep an eye on it and if after a few days it is still bent, you can make a little shoe and you take the toes straight to the little cardboard shoe . After a few days wearing the shoe you will see it will be much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by