1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do quail eggs stay fresh and when do they stop laying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cereall, May 28, 2016.

1. cereall

cereall Out Of The Brooder

I was planning on selling coturnix quail eggs in plastic containers and I can't find any definitive answers on what I should list the best by/expiration date as. Also, for 4 months a year there is less than 10 hours of light a day. Will that make the quails completely stop laying or will egg production just decrease? Thanks!!!

2. MayDayMel

MayDayMel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Trinity, AL
    I'm wondering myself

3. Curtis M

Curtis M New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Lancaster, Ca
    I too was wondering about the viability of the eggs, not only for shipping, but between harvesting and being placed in the incubator, if the incubator is running a cycle when the eggs are collected.

4. Codyntx

Codyntx New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    I've read on here 10 days max. Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in

5. cereall

cereall Out Of The Brooder

A lot of what I've read says that when the eggs are refrigerated before and after being sold they last 3-6 weeks max, but in other places I've read that the eggs lasted 3 months. I think that farm fresh eggs will definitely last longer than store bought since they've been laid much more recently.

6. Fr quail

Fr quail Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    People use light bulbs to make the quail think the days are longer than they really are and this will keep them laying through the short days. I think 14 hours of light a day will keep them laying, but google it to be sure. You only need enough light to keep them awake, nothing fancy. A 100 watt light bulb in the room is probably enough. You can put it on a time to be sure it keeps a set schedule.

MY coturnix often layed right through winter even during the short days. They are egg machines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by