How long do quail lay?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sunnychooks, Sep 18, 2011.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have some Coturnix that are about 1 1/2 years old. The females were laying fine until recently. Production has dropped and I am wondering if they are spent.
    Any thoughts?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I heard they lay until they die. Do you have a light on to boost their daylight hours?

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

They could be molting

4. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks for your replies. I haven't seen too many feathers so I don't think they're molting. I don't have a light on either. I'll try giving them a little more lighting and see if that helps.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

5. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:About 14-16 hours of light a day is what is recommended, I think. May have to have one of the more experienced quail keepers check on that, though [​IMG]

6. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Rice Country, CA
    Quote:About 14-16 hours of light a day is what is recommended, I think. May have to have one of the more experienced quail keepers check on that, though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    16 is recommended for a year long laying schedule, they could just be molting tho, mine are all going thru a molt right now as well. Production has slowed D:

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

they lay till they die BUT laying season is May-September unless you give them artifical lighting.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:after you put lights on them it still may take 2-3 weeks for them to respond to the artificial lighting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by