How long do silkies lay for???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happyhenz, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    Hi all well the reason behind my ? is this....
    I had 3 beautiful silky bantam roosters i decided i needed to find 2 a home so kept a beautiful buff handraised boy.
    I also needed a larger rooster for my very pushy hens so i swapped my 2 boys for a new hampshire roo and a black silky hen.
    I have had them about 6 weeks now and the hen isnt laying.
    I have no way of telling how old she is and im starting worry i have been dubbed!
    The lady i got her off didnt know how old she was but said she laid egge last spring and even had a clutch ?
    Can someone help me with my ? please i dont want to think ill of anybody for nothing

Thanks in advance

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Ciindi, is she in with the pushy hens??
    If so move her into a pen without any dramaqueens!
    How is her headcomb, small and shrivelled or plump and red?
    The lady may have offloaded her because she doesnt produce, its a common practice at the markets!
    Try and move her and give her time to resettle.
    My black langshan stopped laying when I had ducks in the yard with them.
    As soon as I moved the ducks to their own enclosure it took a week then she started again, and Goldilocks my 16 year old even laid one!!!as the ducks were picking on her.

3. Happyhenz

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    Hi Helen she and Fred have there own pen and she bosses him.
    Hard to tell colour as shes black.
    Shes on good food and everyone else seems to be laying but not her.
    I have been keeping her in so i know she isnt laying elsewhere so im at a loss :|

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh sorry Ciindi, perhaps someone thats had elderly silkies can chip in here with a description of what to look for.
    Im glad you still have little Fred, hes a sweety!!
    Maybe if you get more silky hens, she may lay, nothing like a bit of competition to get her going!!!
    I hope she does lay for you. Maybe forget about her laying and think of something else for a while then you may turn around and find a little egg on her nest!!!
    Hopefully someone else here can help you!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. Happyhenz

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    Bump Bump [​IMG]

6. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    My silkies layed until they were 4 years old. Then they died, and we don't know how. Sorry to be of less help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by