How long do the chickens need to be laying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lovnlife, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Lovnlife

Lovnlife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Coffeyville, Ks
    I was wondering how long the chickens need to be laying before you should try hatching out their eggs?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should be fertile within a very few days of the rooster mating them. However, the first eggs that pullets lay are smaller than what they will lay when they mature a little more, perhaps in a couple of months. The larger eggs seem to have a better chance at hatching healthy chicks. Those first pullet eggs don't provide much growing room.

Here is how to tell whether your eggs are fertile:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

3. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

I think your question is at what age do the pullets start producing eggs that, when fertilized, are hatchable?

Well, you asked when to try, and I would try incubating them after I thought a roo had successfully mated with them.

Once they start laying they are sexually mature enough to produce chicks, assuming their eggs are fertile. I have read that the success rate for "beginning" layers might be lower than average, but I would not let that stop me from trying.

Give 'er a go and see what happens [​IMG]

4. Lovnlife

Lovnlife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Coffeyville, Ks
    Thank you! Mine have been laying for awhile and the eggs are getting larger by the day. I'm curious to see what happens, so I think I'll give her a go. The roo has been with them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by