How long do the chicks stay in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akjbgb, Jan 12, 2013.

1. akjbgb

akjbgb Just Hatched

I'm about to go into first ever LG lockdown in a couple days and I realized that I have no idea what to do once the chicks hatch. Do I just leave them in there for a few days? Once I remove them and put them into the brooder (I have a cardboard box with a red heat lamp and thermometer), is there anything special I need to do for them? Aside from providing chick starter and clean water for them of course.....

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They can stay in the incubator without eating for up to 72 hours. You generally don't take them out till all the chicks are done hatching, since you don't want to open the incubator and cause the humidity to drop. However, if it gets to be 72 hours and you still have unhatched eggs that you think are good you can go in real quick and grab out the hatched chicks. Just put a wet paper towel or sponge in at the same time to try to minimize humidity loss if you have to do this. Otherwise, just wait till the chicks are mostly dry and have started to fluff up before taking them out.

As for the brooder, if you're going to use pine shavings put a layer of paper towels over the shavings for the first few days so the chicks don't try to ingest them. Once they learn to eat chick feed this isn't as much of a concern but when they first hatch and they try to learn what to eat they could eat the shavings if they have access to them, and that causes problems :(

Also, make sure you don't use newspapers or anything slippery or slick for their bedding! They have to be able to get traction or they could develop splayed leg. Paper towels are great at preventing this - so I really recommend using them for both reasons!

2 people like this.
  3. akjbgb

akjbgb Just Hatched

Oh, good to know about the paper towels over the shavings! Thank you! Do you dip the beak in the waterer and feeder or do they just figure out where the food is on their own? Will they try to eat their own poop on the paper towel?

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Mine usually seem to figure it out on their own. And yeah they might pick at their poop a little, but that's normal and okay. And don't be worried - it'll look funny at first 'cause the yolk they're digesting makes it a different color. After a couple days when the chick food starts going through their systems they'll have 'normal' looking poop.

You can actually 'peck' in the feeder and waterer with your finger to encourage them - that's what momma hen does and most will be curious enough to try what you're 'pecking,' so that works to help get them eating and drinking.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How exciting!! you have gotten some good advice!! In the hatching 101 article in my signature is some info on hatching process. have a look and see if anything can help you out! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. akjbgb

akjbgb Just Hatched

They're hatching now!!! So happy! I want to take them out but I will wait until they fluff :). I am nervous if my brooder is too warm or cold. I guess I'll just have to figure it out! I've hung a thermometer from the lamp and its at 95, so I guess that's what we want! Thanks for the help everyone! I didn't think I could do it my first try and in a dreaded LG too!:lol:

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Congrats!!! as long as there is one area that is between 95-98 your ok they will stay with the warmth if they need it!

8. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    Congratulations about the hatch.Just keep us updated.And please post some pics.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Congrats! I'd love to see some pictures :)

10. akjbgb

akjbgb Just Hatched

How do I upload a photo without a URL on this thread? I'd love to show you a photo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by