1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do they last?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greening, Jun 22, 2011.

1. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    after collecting eggs, if i keep them downstairs in my basement, when is the latest i can put them in the incubator? they are chicken eggs, if that makes any difference.

2. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    around ten days

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    They say 10 days maximum....the sooner you put them in the incubator the better your hatch chances..... [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    After 10 days the hatch rates decrease substantially. But I've set 2 week old eggs with little difference. I haven't tried eggs older than that, but have heard/read of people setting month-old eggs with little difference. The biggest factor is how you store them.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Some species actually do better if they are 'older'. I've had much better hatches with quail and guineas that were not 'fresh'.

6. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    okay, they are a week old, and i will put them in as soon as my dang hovabator gets here. i didnt buy it off of ebay so i dont know who they are shipping it with and it has been a week today. and of course, they didnt give me a tracking number or anything. after 10 days, it says you can call and they will give you a shipping/tracking number

7. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

That might mean they're not in a hurry to ship it.

I've tried to get them in the bator as close to a week or ten days. I have heard stories here on the forum about extended times. With Trader Joe's I think. You'll do fine, your storing your eggs well and handling them kindly.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by